Sunday, September 18, 2011

Robert the Bruce

Robert the Bruce: by Benjamin Victor


1.  Realistic
b)  Epic
c)  Templar
d)  Expensive
e)  Majestic

2.  The best part about this sculpture is its realism and the materials used.  Working with metal is no easy task and I have a great appreciation for those patient enough to make tedious pieces like these.  I am not a fan of abstract art, so this piece is exactly what I believe should truly be called "art".

3.  One small thing that bothers me, but could not likely be changed, is that the figure is so unrecognizable until you read the name.  Perhaps its just me, but I instantly thought it was a templar of the Crusades.  I am uncertain how his identity could be more clear, but the piece is magnificent no matter who you think it is at first glance.

4.  Being a former art major, there are not many pieces that I would not welcome in my home, but isn't one of them.  "Robert the Bruce" is amazingly detailed and it would be an honor to have.  It would be the diamond of my collection in all its detailed glory.

5.  As discussed in class, this statue is about the former king of Scotland and the war for its independence  from England.  Though Scotland won, the king was lost to battle and this statue is tribute to his bravery.  The sculpture seems to almost be turning on the viewer, with the king ready to through his axe at those watching.

6.  The front is definitely this statue's strong point.  There is significant detail in the entire piece, but it is mainly focused toward the front.  The natural lighting really picks up the materials and makes the statues really shine, giving it an ageless feel.

7.  This statue is primarily rounded and geometric shapes that are highly detailed.  There are raised emblems on the cloth and shield of the statue and even chain mail texturing on the armor.  Most of the statue is smooth while being accented by small patterns here and there.  This statue is a concrete representation of its subject, Robert the Bruce.

2 comments:

  1. I agree on how patient and tedious this artist must have been while creating this piece of art. He payed great attention to detail and did not leave much out. I too am a big fan of the more concrete artwork vs the abstract.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keen observations on Robert the Bruce here! Where's the other two sculptures you were supposed to explore? BTW, I love your background template on this blog. cool.

    ReplyDelete