1. Mythical
b) Realistic
c) Smooth
d) Haunting
e) Literal
2. The mythological aspect of "Wings" is the most intriguing part about it. It is a flawless representation of the story of Icarus; the boy with wings made of wax who flew too close to the sun. Icarus died when his wings melted and he plummeted into the ocean. The eyes of this statues are blank and lifeless, as if this were his corpse (or perhaps spirit) dredged up from the ocean floor. Icarus looks to be reaching out for help in this statue, which brings a sense of unease and eeriness to the viewer.
3. There is a large lack of detail in the wings of the piece that detract from the overall realistic feel. Even though Icarus' wings were made of wax, that gives no excuse to slack on details. More feathers would have given the wings a little more realism and I would have enjoyed the piece more so.
4. Most definitely I would buy "Wings" to display in or outside my home. I enjoy the greek and roman sculptures very much and this sculpture captures many of those distinct qualities fairly well. On another note, I also appreciate mythology tremendously and would enjoy a sculpture of any piece having to do with it.
5. As described above the statue (in my opinion) represents the story of Icarus. The story of Icarus teaches us to not reach beyond our means, and listen to the wisdom of those more knowledgable. "Wings" has Icarus reaching out to viewers from atop his perch on a sphere.
6. "Wings" is a mainly frontal piece, with not much to be said for the back. A stronger representation of the harness for the wings is present from the back, but not much else besides a well shaped human figure. Visually the statue is most engaging from the front, but to those with appreciation for realistic representation of the human body it can be amazing from all sides. The natural lighting gives the statue an eerie glow, as if it is the spirit of Icarus himself. The stone appears to have been carved, but I cannot say for certain.
7. This sculpture is very realistic in its human form, primarily round and simple. There is great detail in his face and hair, while very little in the wings or globe he is standing on. This piece could almost be in a fountain it is smooth as a water worn stone.

I really enjoyed your descriptive wording under question number 2 and I agree that this sculpture is rather eerie. I also agree that more detail in the wings could really bring this sculpture alive!
ReplyDelete