Monday, October 24, 2011

Well-placed Suggestions

Moments of utter clarity are not often found throughout the years of our lives.  They are few and precious, but often give life changing perspectives for better or for worse.  A previous academic advisor of mine had given me such a moment, but I shall preface it with some prior knowledge.  Throughout high school I fiddled with the idea of being a psychologist.  With further research into that field I decided it was not for me.  I then attended the university of Michigan for two years as an art major.  While an art major I decided I then wanted to be an architect.  Having great taste and passion in architecture I figured it would be a great career to pursue.  I then met with my Academic advisor to discuss my possible transition of majors.  He asked me what I enjoyed doing in my spare time, and my response was playing video games.  Then he threw out the question "Have you ever considered a career in that field?"  Well I had, I responded, but I wanted to go into a field that was a bit more practical.  My advisor then responded with the most witty and well placed comment ever.  "You want practical?  You know you're in art school right?"  Wow... my mind was blown!  Despite being such an obvious option I really had not realized that even though I wanted practicality I really should follow my dreams, because I had been following them all along.

No comments:

Post a Comment