Friday, October 21, 2011

Banking Concept of Education

1.  Narration sickness refers to the traditional mode of education in the classroom where the teacher simply talks on and on and the students must sit patiently and listen like little receptacles of knowledge.

2.  Narration sickness is similar to standardized testing practices because there is no real involvement for those taking the tests.  Nothing is learned, and all they expect is students to memorize facts and spew them out on paper.  Its not so much of a test as it is a see-how-many-you-get-before-times-up race.

3.  My previous high school computer teacher was an avid practicer of some of the banking concepts of education.  He would frequently remind us how well versed he was and how uneducated the class was.  We had no say in what went on in the class, we were merely there to massage his ego and help him feel as though he was an excellent teacher.  To say the least, he was just full of hot air.
      This method of teaching is not advantageous for any student.  There is no communication involved and this leads to severe alienation.  Not only that, but students eventually grow to resent teachers who act high and mighty and lord their knowledge over them.  Communication is vital in producing a productive learning environment.

4.  Possibly one of the most memorable professors I have ever had was my college english teacher, my sophomore year.  Never have I been more expressive and inspired in my writings than I was over those literary works.  The course was mainly focused on writing, and we wrote about great novels and short stories.  We were not required to write about anything in particular until later on in the course, so I was able to express my passion over certain aspects and qualities of the literature.  My papers were humorous, exciting, and easy to read.  His passion flowed to everyone in the class and it had a great effect on our writing skills.  Open conversation over the works was common, debate and comparison were commonplace.  This communication really involved those who partook in it.
   The professor was a young writer himself, and readily identified with his class.  He was genuinely concerned over our progress and had office hours throughout the day.  What I have learned in that classroom I have applied to all of my papers since then.  I have learned that through humor and passion any topic can be expressed in a grand way.

5.  That is indeed a tough question, but I feel that the Athenians (being the more open-minded group) would readily embrace the change of liberated education.  Visigoths I feel would not appreciate education as much and would rather explain things and be done.  Surprisingly my calculus course has quite a bit of conversation, while my computer course is severely lacking in it.  I feel as though more passion for the subject from the professor, and a more positive outlook could really benefit that class.

1 comment:

  1. "y previous high school computer teacher was an avid practicer of some of the banking concepts of education. He would frequently remind us how well versed he was and how uneducated the class was. We had no say in what went on in the class, we were merely there to massage his ego and help him feel as though he was an excellent teacher. To say the least, he was just full of hot air." Oh... these are classic comments. I love the one about "massaging" his ego. Needless to say, yes, Friere would place this guy as the poster child of narration sickness. Keen observations here about past educators. Nice job.

    ReplyDelete